July comes to us bringing 100-degree afternoons and hopefully the respite of cooling afternoon thunderstorms. The last two summers had good rainfall during the monsoon, which was extremely beneficial to the turf on the golf course. Let it rain! Stay in tune with the Forecaddie to keep up to date with everything Pro Shop and golf course related. In the sections following, you will find all the information relating to this month in golf, as well as contact information for our golf associations and our Greens Committee.
SaddleBrooke Ranch Golf Club Pro Shop Schedule Pro Shop Hours – Open 30 minutes before the first tee time and 1 hour before shotguns.
- The pro shop closes at 4:00pm.
- Pro shop staff will carry the pro shop cell phone (520-561-1196) until 6:00.
- Staff is available until one hour before sunset.
- First tee time: 7-1 to 7-31: 7:00am
- Last tee time: 7-1 to 7-31: 6:00pm
- Shotguns: 8:00/1:00 Rate Periods: 7-1 to 7-31:
- Prime 7:00 – 11:52 Midday 12:00 – 1:52
- Twilight 2:00 – 3:22 Super Twilight 3:30 – Sunset Golf in July
The Ranch Forecaddie Free Monthly Golf Clinic Every month Mike and Ken will conduct a free golf clinic. All residents and their guests are welcome to attend, and there is no cost. Please sign up in the Pro Shop. The staff have a book behind the counter with all the scheduled clinics that you can sign up for. You are welcome to attend as often and as many as you like! The clinics will cover basic techniques and mechanics of each topic. Our golf clinics are great for learning a new skill or brushing up a skill that needs some work. The next clinic will cover chipping and will be held on Monday, July 10th at 9:00 am at the chipping green.
Golf Maintenance Schedule A maintenance plan is put into place at the beginning of the year. Variance in weather and agronomic conditions may require changes to the schedule. July Maintenance Schedule We will continue closing one hole per nine to cart traffic to help maintain the quality of the turf. We will also continue our program of resting the natural turf one week per month, except in December and January, when it will be rested for two weeks in those months due to the slowing of the growth rate of the rye overseed, and the heavy use of the driving range. The Bermuda turf is up and in full growth mode.
Please support our maintenance staff by filling divots with sand and repairing ball marks on the green. Cart traffic is highly damaging to the turf, so please limit time on the turf as much as possible. During the summertime the crew will be spending more time on the course mowing, as all the turf, including the rough, will be actively growing. Please be patient if you encounter them.
Heavy mow days are Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Back Nine morning nine-hole times will not be available on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday on a year-round basis to allow maintenance time to complete weekly tasks. Golfing News Golf Course Access Dear Residents, as much of the community activities have been closed for precautionary measures to help reduce exposure to the COVID-19 virus, many of you have taken to walking as a way of exercise and to get out of the house. Please remember that for your safety, we do not allow joy riding, walking, biking, jogging, etc. on the golf course AT ANY TIME. Only golfers, golf staff, or emergency or other authorized service vehicles are allowed on the golf course and paths. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
Eliminate Potential for Cup Damage When using a “ball grabber” attached to the end of a putter to extract a ball from the cup, please remove the flagstick first to eliminate the potential for damage to the edge of the turf surrounding the cup. Thank you. Page 3 The Ranch Forecaddie Golfing News Cont. Cart Rules
The following rules shall apply to all types of golf carts, both rental and privately-owned:
- DRIVE ON CART PATH until even with ball, then enter turf at 90° when gates are not present.
- SCATTER ACROSS TURF until ball is on green.
- EXIT TURF at 90° to cart path.
- REMAIN ON CART PATH on all Par-3 holes.
- STAY 25 FEET from tees and greens.
- DO NOT DRIVE around sides or back of greens.
- DO NOT DRIVE in the desert.
- DO NOT ENTER private resident property to retrieve golf balls.
Ball Marks Our greens have been in service for almost 24 months now. Aaron and his crew are doing a great job keeping them smooth and fast. To do our part as golfers, we should make every effort to keep ball marks repaired! Ball marks that are repaired immediately heal faster and create less surface disruption resulting in a smooth green. Let’s do our part to keep the greens looking good! Please remember to stay in the habit of finding and repairing ball marks on the greens to help keep them rolling smoothly.
Pace of Play Please follow these simple tips to improve pace of play without having to rush around the course:
- Be prepared to play your shot while waiting for others to hit, so you can play immediately without delay. This includes shots played while on the putting green.
- Clean and replace your club in the bag; and record your score, at the next tee, not at the green.
- Hit a provisional ball when appropriate, and limit searches for lost balls to 3 minutes. Players in the group that can hit safely should do so; while those that can’t, should help search.
- Limit socializing to periods when you are prepared to hit and there is a wait to safely hit.
Have fun on the course, and keep your play efficient, so all can experience an enjoyable pace of play! Cart Damage to the Course Without question, cart traffic is the number one cause of damage to the turf on the course. Please do your best to limit the time your cart is on the turf. One easy way to do that is by staying on the cart path until even with your drive. This simple tip can reduce wear and tear exponentially because entering the turf area early is the most common mistake made by golfers in terms of course damage. Page 4 The Ranch Forecaddie Golf Maintenance News What’s going on around the course on Wednesdays?